Use this step-by-step checklist to plan your field trip to Lan Su Chinese Garden.
Choose a Program or Tour
- Browse the website for information and to request a date(s)
- Email or call Katie Hill, Director of Education at 503.228.8131 ext 1001
- You will receive a confirmation via email once the visit is scheduled
Organize your Transportation
- Lan Su Chinese Garden is located at 239 NW Everett Street, Portland, Oregon 97209 (Map)
- Lan Su is two blocks from MAX lines (red, blue, green & yellow) and on several bus lines; for more information, visit www.trimet.org.
- There is school bus parking in front of Lan Su on NW 3rd Avenue at the northwest corner intersecting with NW Everett Street. Buses may stay there if the driver stays with the bus
- Chaperones arriving by car generally will find metered street parking surrounding the garden. There are also parking garages in the neighborhood.
Plan for Payment
- We require payment upon arrival with cash, check, or credit card for the entire group
- School group admission is $3.75 per student, teacher, and chaperone ($4 during Chinese New Year)
- For questions about payment, email or call Katie Hill, Director of Education at 503.228.8131 ext 1001
- Dress – Lan Su is primarily an outdoor facility with covered walkways and unheated pavilions. We recommend that students dress appropriately for outdoor conditions.
- Review behavior guidelines with students and chaperones – see the website or your confirmation materials.
- There are no facilities for eating. There are restaurants and parks in the neighborhood that are suitable for classes. See section on neighborhood ideas.
- There are no areas for storage of back packs or lunches. A small covered bin may be stored just inside the entrance.
- Lan Su is wheelchair accessible.
- Kindergarten – 5th grade = 5 students per one adult
- 6th grade – 8th grade = 10 students per one adult
- 9th grade – 12th grade = 15 students per one adult
Remember to Bring
- Confirmation and payment
- Clipboard or hard surface and pencil if you are doing a quiet activity as part of your visit.
- Arrive at least 10 minutes before your scheduled time. Please call 503.348.9157 and notify Lan Su’s Visitor Experience Coordinator if you will be running late.
- Check in at the Ticket Booth or Garden Shop.
- Gather your students in the entry plaza where staff and volunteer guides will meet you.