Lan Su Chinese Garden strives to attract, hire, train and promote quality individuals who have a proven ability to perform in a professional organization. Lan Su is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. We want to have the best available person in every job.
Lan Su Chinese Garden is committed to maintain an environment where employees contribute to the organization’s achievement, take pride in the results of their work, are appreciated as individuals and are encouraged to develop to the fullest extent.
Lan Su is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is our policy that employees will not be discriminated against in the terms and conditions of employment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability or any other classification protected by law.
Job Title: Facilities Assistant
Reports to: Director of Facilities and Safety
Position Status: Permanent, Part-time, Non-exempt; $11.00 per hour
No Benefits, except 401K
Purpose of Position: Maintain, repair and enhance the facilities of a world-class garden and cultural destination to a level noticeable and admired by visitors.
Position Scope: All maintenance, repair and cleaning of surfaces, hardware and equipment in the Garden, with respect to the authentic design and materials. Maintain and upkeep office and storage facilities. Support events and programming by assisting in set-up/break down.
Hours: 30 hours per week, Wednesday through Sunday, 7:00am to 2:00pm (hour lunch break), with some opportunity for additional hours in the evenings to meet the demands of visitors, garden activities, special events and weather.
Salary: $11.00 per hour
85% - General Garden Facility Maintenance
• Perform cleaning of windows, woodwork, furniture and rafters within garden structures and spaces
• Sweep, mop and power wash terraces, floors and pathways.
• Manage trash and garbage.
• Check & clean bathroom surfaces and replenish supplies.
• Complete daily Maintenance Log
• Inventory and order supplies as needed.
• Perform repairs to garden, Teahouse and garden office items.
• Pick up and deliver maintenance materials, using the garden truck.
• Perform all activities within the safety directives of the garden.
• Complete routine checks for safety issues.
• Talk knowledgably and professionally with visitors while performing garden maintenance.
• Prep, prime and paint garden walls with consideration of the historic structure, plants and the impacts to visitors.
15% - Event and Exhibit Support
• Assist the events and programming staff with special projects and set up and break down of equipment and furniture.
• Build barriers, props, ramps and other items as directed.
Education & Experience Required:
• At least one (1) year of verifiable experience in a building maintenance position.
• Demonstrated ability to perform maintenance and repair of building structures, equipment and systems.
• Proven work history showing attention to detail and care in executing and completing work.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to drive a stick shift vehicle.
• Valid state driver's license.
Skills & Abilities Desired:
• Work collaboratively and effectively with others
• Respond appropriately to questions/concerns from other employees, volunteers and public.
• Skill in electrical, HVAC, plumbing, mechanical and/or carpentry trades.
• Ability to perform multiple tasks and meet tight deadlines.
• Demonstrated dependability--- on-time, reliable.
• Self-motivated and directed.
• Knowledge of Chinese/Asian culture advantageous.
How to apply: Send resume and letter of interest to [email protected] by April 25th, 2014.
No phone calls, please.